Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Duane D

Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks Empty
PostSubject: Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks   Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Several of the green turned bowl blanks I've done lately have cracked across the bottom. I typically leave a uniform inch to 1 & 1/2 inch thickness on the sides and bottom depending on the size of the bowl and then I add a tenon on the bottom. That adds almost 1/2 inch to the thickness of the bottom. Could that be why I'm getting cracks? Do I need to cut the bottom of the bowl thinner if I'm going to add a tenon?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks   Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks EmptyThu May 21, 2015 4:47 pm

You could try going a tad thinner, but what I really would like to know is if you are using any anchorseal on them after you rough them out, or any other method to slow down the drying process through the end grain.
Back to top Go down
Duane D

Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks   Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks EmptyFri May 22, 2015 8:13 am

Dave, I do put anchorseal on the blanks, both inside & out. That helped a lot, but still getting cracks across the bottom of some bowls. Most of these are oak, so that my be part of the problem. Several people tell me they have a lot of problems with oak cracking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks   Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks Empty

Back to top Go down

Cracks on bottom of bowl blanks
Page 1 of 1