Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nova jaws

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Duane D

Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

Nova jaws Empty
PostSubject: Nova jaws   Nova jaws EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am

Should you use a 90 degree shoulder on a tenon with these jaws or dovetail?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Nova jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nova jaws   Nova jaws EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:40 pm

I have pretty much always used a matching dovetail tenon. What I learned in the past from doing a straight wall tenon: if they are not that long of a tenon (say 1/16" - 1/4"), they sometimes will snap clean off if put under to much compression. This problem was more common when using the 50mm or 35mm jaws. Some of Nova's jaws that are deeper inside offer both the dovetail and serrations. These jaws when using a tenon reaching the serration area prefer a straight wall. Play it safe and snug the chuck up pretty tight, but not over tight. In time you'll know what feels right.
Back to top Go down
Duane D

Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

Nova jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nova jaws   Nova jaws EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for the tip on not over tightenng. Most of the time I tighten & then really tighten, probbly too tight some times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nova jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nova jaws   Nova jaws Empty

Back to top Go down

Nova jaws
Page 1 of 1