Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chuck jaws

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Duane D

Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyTue May 12, 2015 8:53 am

Anyone know if the jaws from one chuck manufacturer can be used on another brand of chuck? It would obviously depends on the screw hole placement, just wondering if they are all different or if some jaw would fit different chucks.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyThu May 21, 2015 4:49 pm

Don't quote me, but I have heard that the patriot chuck and the nova's are interchangeable. Otherwise.... nope
Back to top Go down
Capnahab

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-01-01

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 11:00 am

We are a Nova Tool dealer, and it is not recommended to use any other brand jaws on chucks from a different company. While the holes may look like they line up the underside of jaws are probably not milled the same and will not seat correctly.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 pm

I beg to differ....

Just one of several articles out there that all state the same: http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Patriot/patriot.html
Back to top Go down
Capnahab

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh well if you saw it on the internet it must be true. I am telling you it is not recommend. You can do whatever you want, but don't complain if the results aren't what you expected.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Back when Sorby made the announcement that this chuck was coming, they themselves touted how the jaws would work with the nova chucks as well.  Their marketing was great in that not only were they selling new chucks, but the ability to sell jaws to fit a competitors chuck as well was unheard of at the time.  There was a good amount of talk across the forums about this new chuck and all the jaws it may bring to the table.  The best aspect was the precision milling of the Sorby jaws in that numbering them was not needed since they are all perfectly matched.

Back to top Go down
Capnahab

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 6:52 am

OK well since you don't want to believe me that Teknatool does not recommend using other jaws on their products maybe the text directly from their site will help.

IMPORTANT NOTE

We only recommend the use of authentic NOVA accessories on your NOVA chucks.

Using copies or other brands and products on your NOVA chucks could lead to issues like run out, detachment or product failure.

Doing so will invalidate the comprehensive NOVA warranty and most importantly, use of unauthorised accessories may be unsafe.

Hope that helps. Just because it fits does not mean Teknatool recommends it. Which is what I wrote in my original response. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 pm

You crack me up laughing @ u
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chuck jaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck jaws   Chuck jaws Empty