Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spalted Wood

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pmkappy
Admin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Spalted Wood Empty
PostSubject: Spalted Wood   Spalted Wood EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I recently showed a bowl I had made to another turner who said that because it contained some spalting it was not food safe. This was news to me as I have been making utility bowls for years that had some spalt. I finish my food bowls with Mahoney's Walnut Oil. I posted this question on the AAW web site and received several answers, including one fron John Jordan, that all said the bowls are food safe and the danger from spalted wood is a myth. I thought I would pass this on. It's good to know.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Spalted Wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spalted Wood   Spalted Wood EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Paul,

As you know the spalting is caused by a fungus. In all the articles I have ever read, they always recommend wearing a respirator while turning it. I personally prefer not to use spalted woods for utility purpose items. If I were to use it for say a salad bowl, I'd at least put something that truly seals the wood. Ex: Polyurethane, Salad bowl finish. In the past when ever I did sell or give away a spalted piece, I would at least tell the recipient what caused the spalting. I would also mention how it can cause respiratory issues for the woodworker, yet there was no proof to be found on it's safeness with being used with food. I also read somewhere that Richard Raffan no longer turns it. It's really up to you on this one.
Back to top Go down

Spalted Wood
Page 1 of 1