Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Maxing out my Delta

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Maxing out my Delta Empty
PostSubject: Maxing out my Delta   Maxing out my Delta EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:55 pm

I've been wanting to max out my 46-460 on a bowl for a while now. Got a river birch log from a friend a couple weeks ago. Turns out it was nicely spalted. Surprising as it has been in his garage over the summer.

Anyway, I was able to get pretty close to max round on the bandsaw. Roughed it out, and it's been drying. MC is down to about 14%, and I'm getting impatient. Thought I would true it up at this point to speed final drying. Wasn't too far out of round as this point, and since it's been somewhat humid, it's getting close to dry enough to final turn. I have to keep my patience, as I am afraid that if I try and final turn it now, I may have movement later.

Maxing out my Delta Birch2

Maxing out my Delta Birch3

It seems bigger than it looks in the photo. Right now it is right at 12". Can't wait to get it finish turned and a nice coat of lacquer. I'm thinking a couple coats of acrylic. I'm afraid an oil underneath would muddy up things too much.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Maxing out my Delta   Maxing out my Delta EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Here it is finished.

Maxing out my Delta Birch5

Some scalloping in areas where the spalting softened the wood more than the surrounding area. Probably just have to live with it. It is also darkening somewhat from the above picture. Not sure how dark it will get.
Back to top Go down
djesde

djesde

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Maxing out my Delta   Maxing out my Delta EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Good Job:)
Back to top Go down
Scott H.

Scott H.

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Spalted Birch   Maxing out my Delta EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:52 am

That turned out great! A beautiful piece, congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Maxing out my Delta   Maxing out my Delta EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Doug, did you end up spraying with a gun? If so any issues with bounce back? I'm thinking of shooting the end grain maple that I brought to the meeting. It will need to be super wet in order to deal with the depth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maxing out my Delta   Maxing out my Delta Empty

Back to top Go down

Maxing out my Delta
Page 1 of 1