Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

a really new lathe

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-04-21

a really new lathe Empty
PostSubject: a really new lathe   a really new lathe EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 pm

I can't get closer than 2" from the tool rest to the work on short pieces. I have a 12" Craftsman Lathe that was my dads. Parts are no longer available.

So, I must purchase a new one. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Richard
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

a really new lathe Empty
PostSubject: Re: a really new lathe   a really new lathe EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:20 pm

How bout we talk about the pro's and con's at the meeting. There are many to chose from, you need to decide how big you want to go, and how much you want to spend.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

a really new lathe Empty
PostSubject: Re: a really new lathe   a really new lathe EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 am

I mentioned it briefly last night at the meeting, but the Rikon that is on sale right now at Woodcraft is one of the best deals going for a new starter lathe in my opinion. I believe they are on sale til the end of the month. They were a steal a couple years ago when they would put them on sale for $200, but all the woodworking tools went up a bunch in 2007. Don't know about the free shipping Anna was talking about for the club lathes we are purchasing, but according to their website, there was only a $12.99 shipping fee. Unfortunately there aren't any Woodcraft stores withing easy driving distance from Chas. You might luck out on a good deal on a used lathe, I got a great deal on mine a couple years ago. I wouldn't count on it. I've been keeping an eye on the used market for a couple months, and haven't really run across much.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

a really new lathe Empty
PostSubject: Re: a really new lathe   a really new lathe EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Here's the link for the free shipping. According to the link you must have all other windows closed before begining your shopping. As mentioned the ricon is on sale to the end of the month, the free shipping is good till 6-22-09.

http://www.woodcraft.com/dropship/freeshippingemail.htm?refcode=091N06NL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

a really new lathe Empty
PostSubject: Re: a really new lathe   a really new lathe Empty

Back to top Go down

a really new lathe
Page 1 of 1