Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Found this at the Borg yesterday.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Found this at the Borg yesterday. Empty
PostSubject: Found this at the Borg yesterday.   Found this at the Borg yesterday. EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 pm

I was at HD yesterday and I happen to be walking past the hardwood section. A 3' piece of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" red oak caught my eye. Just couldn't resist picking it up. Not sure I've ever seen this amount of medulary rays in a piece of red oak.

[img]Found this at the Borg yesterday. Oakmm5[/img]

Should make some interesting, if small, pieces.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Found this at the Borg yesterday.   Found this at the Borg yesterday. EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Bad news. It looses all the medulary rays when turned. Bummer.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Found this at the Borg yesterday.   Found this at the Borg yesterday. EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:34 am

Yeah, found that one out with too with lace wood scratch Perhaps if it were a larger item, or used in stave work Found this at the Borg yesterday. 327581
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Found this at the Borg yesterday.   Found this at the Borg yesterday. EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Yeah, I thought about staves, but I'm not sure I have enough to do anything like that with it.

BTW, I found out that this is most likely sycamore. I just assumed it was red oak, because it was marked that. After looking at it more closely it's definitely not red oak. I'll probably just put it away until the right project presents itself.

I guess this is my week for figured wood. I cut a hunk off a large bradford pear log I was given a couple months ago. I turned a mallet for my dive buddy's son out of it. Turns out it is highly figured. Never heard of curly pear before. I need to look at the log and see if the whole thing is figured. Knowing my luck, it's just the piece I turned into a mallet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found this at the Borg yesterday.   Found this at the Borg yesterday. Empty

Back to top Go down

Found this at the Borg yesterday.
Page 1 of 1