Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form Empty
PostSubject: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 pm

With X-mas right around the corner, I may not get to try this as soon as I want. I am going to give a staved hollow form a go. Tim Yoder did a show a few weeks ago, that broke it down to realy easy to understand steps. Luckily I recorded the 2 part show bounce I know Fred wants to give it a try as well. I was wondering if anyone else would like to hook up and join in on the fun. As of now I'm thinking after X-mas as to a timeline to get started.
Back to top Go down
ddt

ddt

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 10:46 pm

ok study
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 2:19 am

Sure, I'm a glutton for punishment.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 2:25 pm

DougB wrote:
Sure, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Nah, shouldn't be that hard, once the cutting and glueing is done.

Anyone else going to jump on this one?
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Very Happy Yep Dave the hard part is the cuttin and gluein Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 2:37 am

Quote :
Nah, shouldn't be that hard, once the cutting and glueing is done.

That's the part I'm worried about!
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm going to give it a try after the first of the year, doing Christmas Presents now.

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Hmm   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm

Am I seeing the january challenge here?
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 11:46 pm

Southernlyon wrote:
Am I seeing the january challenge here?

Might be a tad complicated for that Wink This one is more just for the fun of doing. Perhaps down the road a tad.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 12:50 pm

Ok, so I did a little search on the net for stave tips, and the second one in the list is the vessel that I'm talking about here. This link has video from the show that has been cut down a bit, but it should give you an idea of what the heck I'm talking about. Click link and scroll down a tad to where you see watch the experts on the left hand side. It is 2 parts: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30742
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Great link Dave. I got all excited yesterday and tried just making a ring. The 30 degrees for a 6 sided came out pretty close. A little adjustment with a small block plane got them pretty close. A little more work with the plane and test fitting would have gotten me cleaner glue lines. I've never been all that excited by stave work, but the ones with thin accents in between the staves look great. They would also help hide any glue lines that aren't super tight.

BTW that glue up jig that he puts on the lathe would require me to wear Depends when turning in my shop. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 1:16 pm

DougB wrote:

BTW that glue up jig that he puts on the lathe would require me to wear Depends when turning in my shop. Very Happy

I'm sure Fred wouldn't mind you borrowing some of his lol!

Seriously, sounds like you had a good attempt for the first try. I may have to play around on the saw today, well I want to anyways, but my nose is really screwed up with this sinus infection. I should probably stay clear of the shop for a couple more days.
Back to top Go down
ddt

ddt

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Dave W wrote:
DougB wrote:

I'm sure Fred wouldn't mind you borrowing some of his lol!

Seriously, sounds like you had a good attempt for the first try. I may have to play around on the saw today, well I want to anyways, but my nose is really screwed up with this sinus infection. I should probably stay clear of the shop for a couple more days.
nope you cant borrow any ofmine Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
santa
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 pm

lol! lol! Ah shucks Fred come on now lets share some of those depends with Doug.. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Well, I completed my first staved vessel. I'm very happy with it except for the top. It won't be my last.

Walnut and maple sanding sealer and buffed wax

Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form Stave1ia7

The base is cross grained to the vessel. I didn't have anything big enough to do it oriented with the vessel. It's about 2" across, do you think there will be wood movement problems? Anybody have better ideas for the top? I don't particularly like the transition. Perhaps I should have started it lower on the vessel. I was concerned about the wood movement problem, as well as cross grained to long grain glue ups.

I was rounding out the 4th blank for the top. (The first 3 were laying on the shop floor with various divots out of the sides.) I was overdue for lunch and rather frustrated. As I was finishing the last cut, I hit the running blade with my right thumb. Just a little nick. Hardly worth a bandaid. I've had much worse pealing vegetables. The point is I had lost my respect for fast moving sharp metal. I've always regarded the BS as relatively safe. Surely the same mistake on a TS would probably have resulted in a trip to the ER. Perhaps with iced down small parts. I need to gain more respect for the BS.

Hey, let's be careful out there.
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Wow!   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 4:23 am

Doug! That's beautiful! Wow!
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
ddt

ddt

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 9:31 am

looks great to me
nothing wrong with top
nice job
cheers
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Yep, not bad for the first stab!
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 9:52 pm

Good Job Doug top looks good to me
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Just an update on my foray into staved vessels. I made a jig for the table saw this weekend. I was more than a little nervous cutting them just up against the fence. It is basically a crosscut sled (there are runners on the bottom that fit in the miter slots on the TS top) with hold downs for the stock, and a removable fence.

This is it:

[img]Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form Stjig2ma4[/img]

The fence just helps line up the stock with the cut. I can put a tapered spacer between the fence and the stock to cut tapered staves. Here's a picture with the fence out of the way and just a piece of stock being held down.

[img]Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form Stjig1rf1[/img]

I've cut a couple with it. So far I've had less than stellar results. I'm getting a lot of burning on the maple, and some saw marks. I can clean them up with a hand plane, but I was hoping for something a little better right off the TS. I think the big problem is I need a new blade. I have a thin kerf, high tooth count crosscut blade that has probably seen too many cuts. This is really the wrong type of blade for this operation. I may have to wait until I get my leave money in a month and get a glue line rip blade (These are great blades, but rather pricey.). I almost bought a cheap rip blade the other day, but didn't want to spend some money now and then end up with the right thing in a couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Yeah, I was going to say, that your blade is either dull or gummed up. A new one should do the trick for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form   Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form Empty

Back to top Go down

Ahhhh Stave Hollow Form
Page 1 of 1