Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clearing hollow form shavings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Clearing hollow form shavings Empty
PostSubject: Clearing hollow form shavings   Clearing hollow form shavings EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 1:16 pm

I have always found it a pain to clear the shavings from my HFs when hollowing them. I've tried all kinds of things from large spindle gouges to scoop them out, shop vac at the opening, unscrewing the chuck and shaking them out. Several methods are effective, but none of them were convenient.

I've been thinking about something like this for a while and finally got around to making one. Took me about 15-20 min including R&D. Not sure if there is something commercially available that does the same thing, but this thing cost me nothing but a little time and some scrap materials I had on hand.

I started with a piece of scrap pecan that was already the right size - just lucky on that. Saved me a couple minutes roughing out. I cut a shallow tenon on one end so that I could hold it in the chuck. Trued up one end and cut a recess that was a snug fit for the end of my shop vac hose.

I then cut a small hole in the center that was a tight fit for a piece of scrap 1/2" PVC pipe. I would have used 3/4", but didn't have any on hand.

At this point I thought I was done. I fired up the vac and tried it out on a HF. Worked well, but was afraid the restricted suction would do bad things to the vac motor. Drilled some relief holes and now it sounds a lot less labored. 3/4" pipe would probably have less problems in this area.

Then I discovered I had trouble getting shavings near the rim. Fired up the burner on the stove and carefully heated the end of the PVC until it was soft enough to bend easily. Shaped the end and allowed to cool. Cut a nice angle on the end and now it works like a champ.

Clearing hollow form shavings Vacwand1

Clearing hollow form shavings Vacwand3

Clearing hollow form shavings Vacwand2

Hope this may helps some of ya'll out there.
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re   Clearing hollow form shavings EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 1:56 pm

lol! lol! Why can't you use an Air Compressor and an air nozzle. ie blow the chips out

Clearing hollow form shavings 76882 Clearing hollow form shavings 76882
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Clearing hollow form shavings   Clearing hollow form shavings EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 pm

I could, but I don't like running the compressor all the time so I have air available when I need it. The vac only runs for a few moments everytime I have to clear chips. I have an old compressor that struggles with higher pressures. An additional advantage is that this gets rid of the chips instead of throwing them all over me and the lathe. I'm also finding that this is handy for getting into the nooks and crannies of the lathe.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Clearing hollow form shavings   Clearing hollow form shavings EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Brilliant! Clearing hollow form shavings 869911
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: Clearing hollow form shavings   Clearing hollow form shavings EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Innovation is not completely dead in America.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clearing hollow form shavings   Clearing hollow form shavings Empty

Back to top Go down

Clearing hollow form shavings
Page 1 of 1