Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steps to CA finish for a pen

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Steps to CA finish for a pen Empty
PostSubject: Steps to CA finish for a pen   Steps to CA finish for a pen EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 2:00 pm

I know I put a video up, but sometimes it is just easier to read. This is one guys way, I'm sure you can find plenty of others that like another method.

http://www.texaswoodshop.com/turning/ca_blo_finishing_system_1.6.html
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Steps to CA finish for a Pen   Steps to CA finish for a pen EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:56 am

That's very close to the technique I use, but there are a few things I feel are worth highlighting, and two differences that have made my success rate with this finish increase significantly.

1.) Less is more. Per coat I only use 1 drop BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) per pen half. A max of 2 drops CA- I prefer thin, some people have better success w/ medium. Also, once the CA is spread along the blank I pull the applicator away and allow the CA to cure on its own. I've had less streaking this way.

2.) Is there a baker in the house? Parchment paper, used in baking is a great alternative in this situation to a Bounty paper towel as there are no fibers that can intrude upon your finish. If you do stick with paper towels go ahead and invest in Bounty. I've used an off brand which led to much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Not to mention a flawed finish.

3.)Feeling buff today? I have not buffed any of my CA pens. Partialy because they are in "field test mode" as I want to see how long the finish lasts under difficult conditions without the added benefit of the added wax layer. They're being tested by riding around in the bottm of Mom's purse, and so far have shown no degredation of finish, unlike pens that I've finnished with friction polish. We'll see if this keeps up over time.

I'd love to hear other people experiences with a CA finish, as I'm moving to this kind of finish for all my higher-end pens.

Looking forward to the input!
-Anna
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Steps to CA finish for a pen   Steps to CA finish for a pen EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:36 am

CA is the only thing I have used on a pen since I first tried it. I do find that it is more work than I would like. I have to do a lot of sanding in between coats. One problem may be that the CA I have been using it too thick. I've used the over the counter small tubes of super glue and had less problems with streaking. I've buffed all of them to get a good gloss after final sanding, more than to get a coat of wax. You can use automotive polishing compound instead of PPP, if you don't want any wax. I don't see that the wax is a problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steps to CA finish for a pen   Steps to CA finish for a pen Empty

Back to top Go down

Steps to CA finish for a pen
Page 1 of 1