Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lathe Update

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Lathe Update Empty
PostSubject: Lathe Update   Lathe Update EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:31 pm

We'll my spindle shaft finally arrived at the repair shop. I went down had them plug it in and I turned it on, big mistake. It had some kind of new noise, kinda like metal grinding on metal. I figured what the hell let's shift the speed, mistake #2. Instant ear piercing squeeling of metal. Turned the lathe off, took the cover off, low and behold they didn't put it back together right. Turns out they didn't get the speed controls push rod's set screw into the grove it goes in. By not doing this when I went and changed speeds, I pushed that rod straight into the side of the new pulley. Frustrated I stepped outside to call Dave at Jet and let him know what just happened, and that he guy was now taking it apart to put it back together right. I should also mention that my quote of $80 originally, has now been jacked to $160. They claimed it took him almost 8 hrs to get it together, but are only charging me for 4 hrs, how generous. An hour later he has it all back together, and goes to spin the spindle and it doesn't move, lol, he knocked the key on an angle in the key way. He has to take it apart again. 1 1/2 hrs later it's almost back together when after just pushing the back bearing in he realizes that he forgot to put the thrust washer in. The only way to get that washer out is to take the shaft out again. I tell him to stop right there. I can tell if the noise is still there or not, without the machine running. So I get down on my knees, oh I forgot to mention all this repair is going on on the floor behind the counter, and I give the spindle a spin. POP!!! there's my noise. Put the hand on the headstock and sure enough you can feel it too. At this point I tell him he's done, I'm calling Jet. I called Dave back told him all that went on since the last call, and asked now what. He tell's me it's time for PLAN B, whatever that is. I then remind him that they want $160 for the repair they didn't do, and that if I'm wanting to take this out of there I'd have to pay them. He tells me that he would leave it there, I did just that. This all went down last Friday. On Monday I called Dave to see where he's at on this, and he tells me he needs some more time. I asked if he would mind telling me what plan b is or what he has in mind, and he says he rather not jinx it. Like what the hell, am I not the customer here? I'm so frustrated with this whole ordeal I said fine call me when you know something. I gave him till today (Wed.) and called. I asked if he knew about the offer Fred recieved to upgrade to a 16" paying some difference in price. He said no but he would look into it, then he asked me if I had proof of purchase. I said yep, sitting right here in front of me. He had me email a copy to him. I called once I sent it to make sure he got it. He did and said he'd get back to me.

So the story of As the lathe doesn't turn continues. Until the next episode....turn something big in my honor.
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Lathe Update Empty
PostSubject: reply   Lathe Update EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Dave maybe you will have the head back by Next year LOL Or ur money back lol
Back to top Go down

Lathe Update
Page 1 of 1