Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

16" is fun, but how about bigger....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Empty
PostSubject: 16" is fun, but how about bigger....   16" is fun, but how about bigger.... EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Those who made it to last months meeting saw this in person. Since then I have painted it and remounted it on the lathe. For anyone not in the know, it is my solution to doing larger bowls with a very stable outboard turning stand. Max diameter will be in the 36" range.

16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0107gl.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0108v.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0114mh.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0118h.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0125s.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0147xl.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0174u.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0175v.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0151qk.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0142a.th 16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Imag0234f.th

Back to top Go down
Scott H.

Scott H.

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Great Off-End Tool Rest Dave!   16" is fun, but how about bigger.... EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 8:25 am

Dave, I like your solution to turning larger diameter stock off the end of your lathe. (You must have some welding experience) I was contemplating using a stand a lone tri-pod to accomplish the same, but I like your design much better.

Nice job!

Scott H.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: 16" is fun, but how about bigger....   16" is fun, but how about bigger.... EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Scott,

I too almost went with a stand alone.  My biggest problem was the expense in purchasing one, even when it was used.  All told I have about $80 in materials in this build.  I do have a harbor freight flux wire welder which has helped me through a few projects.  They may not be the prettiest of weld beads, but they work for me.  I found this design while searching the net and decided to give it a go.  All in all it works rather well.  My only real complaint is the tightening method.  Having to grab a wrench every time I want to re-adjust is a bit tiresome.  Other than that I'll be happy until I can afford a true bowl lathe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 16" is fun, but how about bigger....   16" is fun, but how about bigger.... Empty

Back to top Go down

16" is fun, but how about bigger....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: