Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jet lathe - click, click, click

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
finn0013

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-01

Jet lathe - click, click, click Empty
PostSubject: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 pm

I went to the farmer's market in Summerville this past weekend and was talking to Fred a bit about lathes. He mentioned that he's had problems with Jet lathe bearings wearing out too quickly. He said if it starts to click then it will be time to replace the bearings and said to go to a place downtown to get some new ones.

Half way through turning two nights ago I noticed a clicking noise, which I had never noticed before. It was only audible when the lathe was at speed and I couldn't hear it if I rotated by hand. It clicked regardless of whether I was applying pressure or not. It is a Jet Mini lathe.

Is this the bearings? If so, does anyone know the name of the place downtown that Fred was referring to and is there a specific size/type/brand I should ask for? He did recommend a certain type but I cannot remember what it was.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
http://www.TanglewoodTurnings.com
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:31 am

The place Fred was talking about is Bearing Distributors, Inc. 2039 Meeting Street 747-0473

The type of bearings Jet puts on all their lathes are know as shielded. In other words metal side walls. These should give you a few years of turning, but what we have experienced is major failure with them. Most likely they are getting to much dust in them. Mine failed in less than 6 months on the Jet 1642.

The bearing of choice is known as a Sealed bearing. This type of bearing uses a rubber compound on the side walls that is fitted with lips to help keep dust from getting into them. I have bought from Bearing Distributors in the past, and I have used this site: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit9706 ** Take note that is for a Jet 1642 ** If you scroll down you will see what I mean about the lips.

If you give Jet a call, they should be able to tell you the size(s) you need. I think your lathe takes 2 different sizes. Or you can pull them and bring them over to Bearing Distributors.

If you need help with changing them out let me know.

Dave
Back to top Go down
finn0013

PostSubject: Re: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am

Great, thank you! I'll check them out.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 am

Just take the old bearings with you. I replaced the stock bearings in my Jet mini a few years ago with the premium bearings from this company. The pair ran around $25. They may be higher now as this was at least 4 or 5 years ago. I got many years of hard use out of them with no problems, and they were still going strong last time I saw the lathe after I upgraded and then sold the mini.

The swap out is pretty easy. Just be careful with the thrust washer under the handwheel. Make sure you have it over the little shoulder on the spindle shaft, and the handwheel snugged up before locking down the set screws. It sounds more complicated than it really is. I think it took me about a half an hour to swap out the bearings on mine. I could probably do it in a lot less time now.
Back to top Go down
finn0013

PostSubject: Re: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:28 pm

I just had sinus surgery and the doc said no turning for likely a month so now's a great time for me to fix this and get everything in top working order.

Based on you guys' experience with Jet lathes are there any other things that I should consider inspecting and/or replacing while I've got the thing cracked open?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Check the belt when you have it out. The only other problem I had with my mini, was the switch. There is a plastic cover inside that keeps dust out of the contacts. It split and let sawdust inside. Don't know if that is a common problem or not. It is a pretty simple, reliable machine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jet lathe - click, click, click   Jet lathe - click, click, click Empty

Back to top Go down

Jet lathe - click, click, click
Page 1 of 1