Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms. Empty
PostSubject: Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms.   Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms. EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:29 pm

I've always had a problem when spraying hollow forms. I get turbulence around the opening that results in a lot of pebbling around the opening. Varying the spray angle has helped, but not gotten rid of the problem. The fact that one must be very careful when wet sanding near the edge makes it even worse.

I've been thinking about trying this for a while. So yesterday I chucked a small piece of scrap in the lathe and made a small plug to fit snugly in the opening. I drilled a small hole in the center to thread a screw into after spraying, to facilitate removal of the plug.

It worked great. Got a nice smooth finish all the way across the top of the HF. I may not be the first to try this, but just thought I would share.

Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms. Spray1

Here's the HF in my "spray booth", the top of my garbage can outside. I picked up a utility turntable from the borg and mounted it on a 2x6. Put a round piece of scrap on top to make a nice rotatable platform for spraying. Works much better than trying to hold it with a finger in the opening while spraying.

Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms. Spray2d
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms.   Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms. EmptyWed May 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Looks like you nailed it with that fix. Oh and nice looking hollow form!
Back to top Go down

Solution for problem while spraying hollow forms.
Page 1 of 1