Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wow! Size does matter.....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Wow!  Size does matter..... Empty
PostSubject: Wow! Size does matter.....   Wow!  Size does matter..... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks to Martin over at the IAP, the powermatic banjo came in to day. I still cant get over the difference in size. To make a long story short, Jet decided to skimp on designing a new banjo for their 16" lathe. They instead just used the 14's and added the needed 1" height to the tool rest itself. This was great except for 2 things: 1. All my other tool rest come up short on tool post length now 2. When you go and turn 15 7/8" you are really taking a chance with the banjo being to short. It literally falls off the back way at this diameter. Jet's answer, "Turn the rest around backwards and deal with the 1 1/2" gap." I snapped a few pics, then I called my metal lathe friend. It's already left the shop for some minor chopping. I'm having the banjo cut down to the same height of the Jet's, and he is also milling the clamp washer to fit the ways. We also came up with a way to extend my trusty 6" rest's post to get me by until I order up the robust's that I want. In the end this should be a great little modification, that should last as long as my lathe. Of course it will need a paint job, I'm thinking something with flames Wow!  Size does matter..... 869911

Wow!  Size does matter..... Img00111201103171253

Wow!  Size does matter..... Img00109201103171242

Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Size does matter.....   Wow!  Size does matter..... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Dueling banjos?

Wow!  Size does matter..... Img00109201103171242
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Size does matter.....   Wow!  Size does matter..... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 1:25 pm

It's back from being chopped! I still need to paint, just haven't decided on a color yet.

Wow!  Size does matter..... 1005511z

How's this for some reaching ability?

Wow!  Size does matter..... 1005514y

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Size does matter.....   Wow!  Size does matter..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Wow! Size does matter.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-