Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What to do when your're tired of the grind...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

What to do when your're tired of the grind... Empty
PostSubject: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:29 am

Get some new toys!

Ok, even I'll admit, the grinder balanced on top of the 3 storgage tubs was a bit tacky. I finally got around to fixing it. Made a trip to HF to pick up a stand, ordered up a couple new Nortons, and the Oneway dressing jig. Throw in a little sweat, some screws, various holes and you've got yourself one organized station. Nothing beats having a home for all your bits.

I have to say, I can't believed I waited so long to get the dressing tool. If you have beed thinking about it, go for it. I have never had a stone run so true. After truing, the new 80 grit Norton seems to sharpen as clean as my old 120 camel. I haven't tried the 46 yet, but it looks like it will eat some metal.

What you wanted pics???

Here's the old just to the right of the lathe, yeah I did that
What to do when your're tired of the grind... 1005312r

New and improved
What to do when your're tired of the grind... Hpim2064c What to do when your're tired of the grind... Hpim2065 What to do when your're tired of the grind... Hpim2068 What to do when your're tired of the grind... Hpim2067t
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 am

Very nice. My grinder is still mounted to a piece of plywood and sitting on my WWing bench. I'm still using a star wheel dresser. What did the Oneway dressing tool set you back?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:39 am

Doug, I ordered it from hartville tools for $56, it's still on sale: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/14683
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Well Dave, you inspired me to go ahead and mount the other base and wheel on my grinder. Not sure why, but the tool rest wasn't 90ยบ to the wheel after mounting. I went ahead and shimmed the bases so the rest was level. Now I need to build a freestanding base for it. I suppose I could just buy one from HF. It's been done.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 pm

Doug, if you do, be sure to get the heavy duty one (water tray included). It comes in two boxes. I got mine on sale at $39.00. If you need I have a 20% off coupon for HF good until 10/20/10.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

After "tuning up" my sharpening station, I find that I have been waiting too long to sharpen, and have not been sharping as well as I used to. My finer grit stone had gotten a little out of round. That was responsible for some poor sharpening. Wheels are round and clean now. Tool rest is lined up with the wheel properly. The grinder is in a more accessible location, which should make it more likely to be used more frequently.

Sharp tools make a big difference.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 am

Ok, I've had a few days to play with the new set up. All I can say is WoW! The dresser is impressive, but these wheels go quite a ways before they glaze up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do when your're tired of the grind...   What to do when your're tired of the grind... Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do when your're tired of the grind...
Page 1 of 1