Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool Empty
PostSubject: Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool   Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 pm

I have one of these, and it seems not to work as well as I think it should. I am starting think the angle of the grind may be off, or maybe I'm just off scratch I was wondering if anyone else has one, or a homemade job, and what angle of bevel they put on thiers?
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool   Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 2:27 am

I have the Sorby multi-tool. It is basically the same tool as yours except it has a straight shaft, and is slightly shorter. Mine will cut quite well, but you must keep the cutters sharp. I sharpen mine on a diamond plate. I lap the flat, and then lap the edge. I will touch it up during use by just lapping the edge. This may not be the accepted way of sharpening. (I think Sorby recommends just lapping the flat.) it does work for me. When sharp the pointed hollowing cutter will cut very aggressively. The tear drop scraper does a nice job of making an interior nice and even.
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Midi Hollowmaster   Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 am

The most significant thing for me between having a Suspect kind of experience and a much more satisfactory one was decreasing the length of the cutter past the attachment point on the tool. Decreasing the acutemness of the angle helped some too. ( hope that makes sense.) I also only hone the flat, but that has far more to do with my sharpening skills than what works best for the tool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool   Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:58 am

From what I've been told, hone the flat, but touching up of the edge may be needed once in awhile. I shall investigate this further.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool   Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool Empty

Back to top Go down

Sorby Goose Neck Hollowing Tool
Page 1 of 1