Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Scale

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Scale Empty
PostSubject: Scale   Scale EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 11:59 am

I finally broke down and picked up the medium sized digital scale at Harbor Freight last week. It is the one that has a maximum capacity of 11 lbs. It set me back $20 on sale.

I have been weighing 3 blanks that have be drying for a couple months. I brought them out of the shop and into the house, so I knew they would lose some weight for a while, even if they were completely dry. So far I like this little scale. It displays to 3 decimal places in the lbs mode. It also has ounce and gram modes. They only drawback is the auto shut off feature turns it off after about 40 seconds if there is nothing on the scale. Sometimes I have to turn it back on if I am messing with a couple blanks. Not a big deal.

The oldest blank lost weight for a couple of days and then stabilized. The others are still slowly losing weight.

If anyone wants to be able to know when a blank is dry enough to final turn, and wants to use weight as a measure, this is an inexpensive way to get into it IMO. I believe the regular price is $25, but they are frequently on sale for $20. They have a larger scale with a max capacity of 70 lbs that goes for $40 on sale.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Scale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale   Scale EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Weighing them works, just make sure to give it a week or so when you think it has stabilized, just in case it was holding off on you. I still like using the moisture meeter. It too can trick you on the thicker blanks, but seems to be pretty dead on on the rough-outs.
Back to top Go down

Scale
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: