Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whats your favorite finish for bowls?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Whats your favorite finish for bowls? Empty
PostSubject: Whats your favorite finish for bowls?   Whats your favorite finish for bowls? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 1:38 pm

I usually go one of two ways. I tend to decide if it will be a for show, or utilitarian piece. On the show pieces I put either an oil on it, or wipe on polly, then when either is dry I take it to the buffing system. On my utility pieces I have been using just walnut oil. I'll put few good coats on until it doesn't want to take anymore oil in.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite finish for bowls?   Whats your favorite finish for bowls? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 2:06 pm

I've been using rattle can lacquer. I sand/steel wool in between coats. I finish up with a trip to the buffer. It's more work than I would like, but I can get good results with it.
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite finish for bowls?   Whats your favorite finish for bowls? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi guys and gals, when I turn a bwl I usually turn it for looks and I use a few coats of myland on it at least so far that is all I have done. lol!
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite finish for bowls?   Whats your favorite finish for bowls? EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Hey Doug, I think I will try the rattle can method and see if it works for me. What do you put on the ways of your lathe to protect it
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite finish for bowls?   Whats your favorite finish for bowls? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:56 am

Nothing.

I usually do it off lathe.

BTW I normally use the Deft. I tried the Rustoleum once, but it would get gummy on me if it got too warm, even weeks after being sprayed. I like the way the semi gloss evens out better than the gloss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite finish for bowls?   Whats your favorite finish for bowls? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats your favorite finish for bowls?
Page 1 of 1