Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Honing a skew.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Honing a skew. Empty
PostSubject: Honing a skew.   Honing a skew. EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 am

Bill Grumbine posted this video on Youtube. He hones his skew on a diamond plate and then strops it. This gives a edge somewhat comparable to those on bench chisels and plane irons. If you didn't catch it in the narrative, he grinds the edge first on the grinder. If you try honing a very dull skew without grinding first, you may be disappointed because you didn't remove enough material on the diamond plate to get back to sharp.

I tried it out on my HF 3/4" skew. It really does make a difference. It also seems to hold a sharp edge longer. Only takes a minute or two to take it from the grinder to the hone to the strop. I highly recommend using diamond plates rather than sandpaper on glass for this. The sandpaper works, and gives the advantage of a wider variety of grits, but HSS is not kind to sandpaper, and loses it's grit after just a few passes.

Bill Grumbine video

This technique might not suit you, but I do think it's worth trying. I noticed a big difference in control, and finish using it. If nothing else, it may be something you want to use for final passes. The polished edge leaves an incredible burnished surface on the wood.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Honing a skew. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honing a skew.   Honing a skew. EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:15 am

Doug, I have 2 hear if you need some more practice hi
Back to top Go down

Honing a skew.
Page 1 of 1