Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finishes for Pens

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Finishes for Pens Empty
PostSubject: Finishes for Pens   Finishes for Pens EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Can You guys gove me an idea of finishes to use on pens.
I've seen and used CA finish and I have used Myland Friction polish. Also there is Tung Oil and wax that can be used is there anything else that can be used for finishing pens?

Finishes for Pens 76882
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Finishes for Pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finishes for Pens   Finishes for Pens EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 am

Lacquer.

I personally, would only use CA or lacquer. The reason is durability.

Tung oil, or BLO will not leave a film, and so won't wear off. It also won't protect from oils from the hands. After a few months of use I would imagine that the would would have a very uneven appearance because the areas that get touched will absorb oil from the hands and darken. Never tried it, but that would be my expectation. Even worse with wax. The wax will wear off very quickly and the oils will darken the wood in specific areas.

Mylands gives a very nice and quick finish, but does not hold up well to handling. It, reportedly, wears off quickly.

CA is supposed to be the most durable. It is normally the finish of choice by most pen turners I hear talk about pen finishes.

Lacquer is supposed to be a close second.

Even CA and lacquer will wear off with heavy use.
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Finishes for Pens Empty
PostSubject: pen finishes?   Finishes for Pens EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Ok I just thought what about Myland, with a CA topper lol do u think it would work, think I will try lol lol! lol!

Finishes for Pens 76882
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Richy2

Finishes for Pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finishes for Pens   Finishes for Pens EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 pm

I turned a pen and used Myland, with CA on top, no trouble, looks good . In fact I put 2 coats of CA on the pen.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290

Finishes for Pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finishes for Pens   Finishes for Pens EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Richard, I don't think it will hold up over time. The mylands can become seperated from the wood, causing the ca to crack and flake off. If your going to do the CA, just use some kind of oil on the wood first to make it pop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Finishes for Pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finishes for Pens   Finishes for Pens Empty

Back to top Go down

Finishes for Pens
Page 1 of 1