Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Upgrade or wait?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Upgrade or wait? Empty
PostSubject: Upgrade or wait?   Upgrade or wait? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 2:23 am

I have some money coming the end of January. It's not enough to get a full sized lathe. I don't have anything specific in mind to use it for right now, and I have toyed with the idea of perhaps upgrading to a Jet 1220. What do ya'll think? Should I upgrade, knowing I will eventually move on to a full sized lathe, or should I wait. I think it will probably be a couple of years before I end up in a full sized.

If I don't go the 1220 route, I will need to decide on what other goodies to get. I've tried holding onto my extra money and end up frittering it away on nickel and dime stuff, with little to show for it down the road.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Upgrade or wait? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrade or wait?   Upgrade or wait? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Hmmm, tuff one. I'd say wait untill you have the money to do the full size, but I too know how the money just seems to slip away as time goes on. When I need to save for a period of time I go to my human bank, the wife. Now she doesn't pay any interest, but the girl knows how to hold on to money. She's funny, she'll ask me on what terms can I get the money back, before agreeing to take it. If I tell her not to give it to me until I have the amount needed for purchase, so be it. It's my money, but it is safer in her hands lol!

Give it some thought first. The other thing is to consider doing a slightly used lathe. You can get a good deal every now and then.
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Upgrade or wait? Empty
PostSubject: Potential Upgrade   Upgrade or wait? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 pm

My question would be, "What will the 1220 allow you to do that your current lathe would not, and is that difference enough to justify the investment?" Also, if you did decide to get the 1220, you could probably sell your current lathe and get a few goodies with that income.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290

Upgrade or wait? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrade or wait?   Upgrade or wait? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Southernlyon wrote:
My question would be, "What will the 1220 allow you to do that your current lathe would not, and is that difference enough to justify the investment?" Also, if you did decide to get the 1220, you could probably sell your current lathe and get a few goodies with that income.

Yeah, that too Upgrade or wait? 869911
Back to top Go down
ddt

ddt

Number of posts : 34

Upgrade or wait? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrade or wait?   Upgrade or wait? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Dave W wrote:
Hmmm, tuff one. I'd say wait untill you have the money to do the full size, but I too know how the money just seems to slip away as time goes on. When I need to save for a period of time I go to my human bank, the wife. Now she doesn't pay any interest, but the girl knows how to hold on to money. She's funny, she'll ask me on what terms can I get the money back, before agreeing to take it. If I tell her not to give it to me until I have the amount needed for purchase, so be it. It's my money, but it is safer in her hands lol!

Give it some thought first. The other thing is to consider doing a slightly used lathe. You can get a good deal every now and then.
i know thefeeling i suffer from the old itilan decease MYFUNDSARELOW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Upgrade or wait? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrade or wait?   Upgrade or wait? Empty

Back to top Go down

Upgrade or wait?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: