Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Here we go again....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Here we go again.... Empty
PostSubject: Here we go again....   Here we go again.... EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 1:24 pm

About a two weeks ago I was roughing out some wet bowl blanks and was really having issues with bogging down the motor.   Using my 3/8" bowl gouge I was literally bringing the motor to a stop taking about a 1/4" cut.  And no the belt was not just slipping.  I opened the door to verify the motor pulley was actually coming to a stop.  Fast forward to this past weekend and I'm back in the shop turning some stoppers and other smaller things.  While sanding one of the stoppers at around 500 rmp I reached for the hand wheel to bring it to a quicker stop, and boy did it ever.  The following is done at 3 times the stopper speed and with the belt on the high setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VvQQd7cpQ

I'm looking for any input as to what may be causing this, motor, inverter, user lol.  I should also mention that the front motor bearing has developed a slight clicking noise as of this weekend. According to Jet, the motor bearing is shot.
Back to top Go down
badlutz

badlutz

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again....   Here we go again.... EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

I would go with the motor is going bad. What was the conclusion?
Josh
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again....   Here we go again.... EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 pm

$324 and a new motor is delivered to the door. Going to take a few bowls to make up this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again....   Here we go again.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Here we go again....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: