Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Round bar tool rest

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Round bar tool rest Empty
PostSubject: Round bar tool rest   Round bar tool rest EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 pm

I decided to throw together a round bar tool rest for my Delta midi from some leftovers of the hollowing rig project. Didn't have a 5/8" drill bit, so I just filed the end of the post down to a small area of contact and filled in with bead. Not sure if that's strong enough to survive a nasty catch, but probably OK for temporary tryout. I can always weld some gussets on either side.

Anyway I tried it out briefly. So far I really like it. Any advise on using one? Seems like there shouldn't be any difference in use with a traditional rest. If I use this permanently, I will have to get some 5/8" post stock. The only piece I had was rather rusty and had a lot of pits. Doesn't seem to affect performance at this point, but seems like it would be better to have some nicer stock.

Round bar tool rest Trest0

BTW it's not bent, or off-center, it's just the camera angle.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Round bar tool rest   Round bar tool rest EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Only issue is the fulcrum point is a bit away from where an angle rest would be. Be careful if using 1/4" or smaller tools. I thought if I could bend the metal, it would make for a good bowl rest on the cheap side of doing things. I don't think the fulcrum position would be a problem with a 3/8" or 5/8" bowl gouge.
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Round bar tool rest   Round bar tool rest EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 1:24 am

Works great with a skew, 3/8 spindle gouge, bowl gouge. I can do a much nicer flat planing cut with the skew using this rest, than I can with my standard one. Not sure why.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Round bar tool rest   Round bar tool rest EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Less area of contact on the round, and no stupid nicks in it yet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round bar tool rest   Round bar tool rest Empty

Back to top Go down

Round bar tool rest
Page 1 of 1