Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Started my square bowl

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Started my square bowl Empty
PostSubject: Started my square bowl   Started my square bowl EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:20 am

I cut the end off a piece of dry 10" 8/4 maple. Turned a shallow bowl/sushi plate. Turned out OK despite a few ridges and valleys in the "air" section on the corners.

Just a heads up: If you are using a piece of lumber for this, be sure and cut an inch or so off the end first. I didn't do this and ended up with some really nasty staining in the last inch. I also ended up with some cracks developing in the same area. This is probably only a factor in lumber that has an end that has not be trimmed since initial drying, or a previously cut end that has been exposed to weather.

Back to the drawing board.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Started my square bowl   Started my square bowl EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Don't you mean, back to the lathe???

Yep, been there as well. One sometimes gets a little to excited and forgets the small things to check for first. Speaking of starting, I really need to hit the lathe and get mine going.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Started my square bowl   Started my square bowl EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 1:52 am

Well I finally hit the shop tonight, but I haven't started my bowl yet. Instead I decided to give a walking cane a try. All was going good till I went to take the nib off the back end of the handle. Kaboom!!! split the wood at the other end. No big deal, being it was a prototype. I'll hit the lathe tomorrow and wrap this one up, then on to the bowl.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Started my square bowl   Started my square bowl Empty

Back to top Go down

Started my square bowl
Page 1 of 1