Charlestowne Woodturners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The club meets at Hostetler Custom Cabinetry, 403 Fleming Road, Charleston SC, 29412. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pen blanks??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Richy2

Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Pen blanks?? Empty
PostSubject: Pen blanks??   Pen blanks?? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 am

Has anyone turned any stabilized spalted pen blanks?? what are they, Plastic?? And how hard are they to turn Question Question

Pen blanks?? 76882 Pen blanks?? 76882
Back to top Go down
DougB

DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Pen blanks?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen blanks??   Pen blanks?? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:42 am

The stabilized blanks are wood that has had resin infused into the wood.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Pen blanks?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen blanks??   Pen blanks?? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Have not turned one, but I have one out in the garage some where. I can tell you this though. The stabilized corn cobs don't hold together that well.
Back to top Go down
aircooledbusses

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-06-07

Pen blanks?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen blanks??   Pen blanks?? EmptySun Jun 07, 2015 10:17 pm

I am new to the forum, bit have not attended meetings yet. I know its an old post. But here is my two cents:

Stabilizing pen blanks under vacuum, makes punky soft woods solid. I use Curtis sebecks cactus juice and cook it after a long soak. It does darken the wood a bit, and no longer smells like wood. More dustsy than shavings. They are easier to turn than ebony or trustone. It is an acrylic resin from what I understand.

Buffalo horn stabilized by me has not cracked.
Fossilised whale bone stabilized by me held together on the lathe with no chip out on the ends.
Pine cones and corn cob from what I have seen are cast in a resin mold. This is different than stabilizing. Although from what I have heard, you can cast under vaccum so that are no air bubbles.

Hope this help if not too outdated
Back to top Go down
Duane D

Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

Pen blanks?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen blanks??   Pen blanks?? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 pm

I've turned a couple of stabilized box elder burl bottle stopper & they turned out nice. The acrylic (i think) resin fills all the voids & "glues" everything together. Made them nice to turn. The first one i finished with CA glue but that may not have been necessary. I sanded the second and just buffed it, no finish & it looked great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pen blanks?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen blanks??   Pen blanks?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pen blanks??
Page 1 of 1